`Balance' dialog box.. what is it for.

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Thu Aug 19 13:02:08 EDT 2004

> 3) IMHO gnucash should continue to enforce the balanced transaction
>    invaraint..  What needs to be fixed is that the importers need to
>    not import imbalanced transactions, therefore the only time the
>    imbalance dialog should happen is during manual entry.

This makes sense to me. I'm simply of the opinion that if there is a
(non-bug) way to get an imbalanced transaction that I don't have to
immediately fix, then I should be able to postpone fixing it if I should
happen to click on it.

For OFX import, this happens for any transaction for which you do not
select an account for. I actually find it easier to import with
imbalances then select the account later, because during import there
are no typing accelerators whereas I've become somewhat proficient at
using the typing accelerators. If the default was "Unspecified" as it is
for QIF import though, I'd be happy.

For QIF import, I don't know exactly when I've seen this, but I'm sure I
have once in a while. If I ever encounter one, I'll save the QIF and see
what caused it (but I'm not going to submit the QIF and my XAC as is, of
course).