Reconciling credit card (liability) accounts

Ashvin Goel ashvin at acm.org
Thu Aug 19 13:32:00 EDT 2004

Derek,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The problem with doing things automatically is that it may not match
other people's method of using gnucash. In particular, I enter a future
transaction in the credit card account once a month that debits from my
bank account the same amount that I have spent this month on my credit
card (I update this transaction manually every time I enter a new set of
credit card transaction). This way my future balance in the credit card
account is always 0 while my bank account shows what I will eventually
have in it. With this approach, I don't need step 3 below. So I have to
  press the cancel button every time the "Transfer Funds" dialog pops
up. I know that has worked for me but it always raised a red flag, i.e.,
was gnucash still balanced, since I thought that gnucash brought up the
"transfer funds" dialog only when there was some unbalanced transaction
or reconciliation.

I guess the interface is a bit confusing. The problem is that there are
two different things that can happen: 1) transfer of funds because your
account is not reconciled, 2) transfer of funds because you want to
record your payment. Logically, these are really different things even
though the implementation of the transfer of funds dialog can probably
be the same for both. For example, what happens with a credit card
account when is not reconciled correctly, and you press the "finish
button". Probably, the amount of funds transferred is the sum or the
difference of 1) and 2), which is probably not what a user expects.
Hence, given the current interface, I believe that it should do either
1) or 2) but not both. Ideally, the current interface would do 1). A
second interface would ask you whether you want to record your payment
and then show the "transfer funds" dialog. In a perfect world, there
would be a preference about whether the recording your payment dialog
should pop up!

Thanks
Ashvin