l-anePOS and gnuCash

David J Patrick davidjpatrick at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 19 12:21:19 EDT 2004

I have been looking for an integrated POS system, that will run on
linux, and could work with gnucash. After a long search, I found
nothing. I did, however, find one nice-looking, open source, POS system
called l-anePOS
http://l-ane.sourceforge.net/
For some time I badgered the author, Jason Burrell, asking how it might
be made to work with gnucash. His reply was that a) they used a
different back-end, and b) he had plans to develop his own back-end. In
a recent communicatio he stated:

The front-office (register) part of the program is stable and usable;
Unfortunately, the back-office (reports, management tools) are
non-existent to
rough. For people willing to write a few reports of their own, the
system works
well. For everyone else, quite a bit of additional work is needed.
Because of
these weak areas, I recommend people use L'anePOS as a toolkit to build
fuller solution rather than a boxed solution.

Now, l-anePOS uses postgreSQL as it's database, and I have seen a lot of
discussion regarding postgreSQL integration with gnucash.
Is it a stretch to think that these two could be made to work together
and that a POS front-end to gnucash would be a boon ?

thanks for thinking about it,
djp

PS. I would consider paying a developer to make this work, and then GPL
the result. thanks.