Foreign investment problems

Danny Ciarniello Dan_Ciarniello at telus.net
Sun Aug 29 23:46:05 EDT 2004

I am having some problems setting up accounts for handling foreign
investments.  When I created my file, I specified that I wanted a set of
Investment accounts which the wizard created for me using my default
currency (CAD).  Since I also have some US investments, I want to create
a set of USD investment accounts that mirror my CAD investment
accounts.  First, I create a sub-account of Assets named "US
Investments" of type Asset with currency USD.  Then I create a
sub-account of "US Investments" called "Brokerage Account" of type Bank
and, again, with currency USD.  So far, so good.  Finally, I try to
create a Stock account as a sub-account of the USD Brokerage Account
which is where I run into problems.  When I select Stock as the account
type, GnuCash insists on forcing me to create a new commodity.  It will
not let me select a currency.  I can create a commodity called USD (US
Dollar) but it isn't a currency.  Looking at the contents of the
gcashdata file, I see:

  <act:commodity>
    <cmdty:space>ISO4217</cmdty:space>
    <cmdty:id>CAD</cmdty:id>
  </act:commodity>

for the GnuCash created account but

  <act:commodity>
    <cmdty:space>AMEX</cmdty:space>
    <cmdty:id>USD</cmdty:id>
  </act:commodity>

for the account I created.

I can work around the problem (assuming that this really is a problem)
by simply changing the AMEX to ISO4217.

I also have another problem (which does not seem to be related to the
above) with foreign investments.  According to the tutorial, I can
create an equity account for Opening Balances for various currencies so
I created an Equity account "Opening Balances USD" with currency USD.
The problem is that when I create a new commodity for my USD Stock
account and specify an Opening Balance originating from my USD Equity
account, the "Increase" column has no value and the Balance is 0.  When
I enter a commodity with an opening balance in my CAD Stock account,
however, the "Increase" column has a value that is reflected in the
balance column.

In both of the above cases, the obvious questionis "What am I doing wrong?"

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan.