access to OFX data streams from financial institutions

David Brock dmbrock at nm.cbc.ca
Tue Aug 31 11:48:26 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 16:51, Don Giorgio wrote:

> My brokerage is TD Waterhouse and their web site provides NO way to
> initiate the downloading of account data in either QIF or OFX. They
> expect you to be using either Quicken or Money; these apps know how to
> connect to Waterhouse's OFX server directly and stream the data into
> the app. I've talked with Waterhouse and they say I'm out of luck.

If TD Waterhouse's response to a customer using software that's not
"MSMoney or Quicken" is "You're out of Luck", then they're deliberately
designing their service to exclude segments of the market.

Whenever a service provider responds to a client with "Tough luck",
that's not service- that's comtempt.  I have huge problems with that,
and moreso because TD Waterhouse is also my brokerage.

In fact, I'm rather suprised that their web site actually works with
Firefox- usually, that kind of thinking equals "best viewed with MS
crap" disclaimers.

I've cc:ed the TD support so they can at least witness my comments.

My recommendation?  Find a financial service provider that's interested
in providing service to their clients.  Sure, it's extreme, but en mass,
it's effective.

-David

--
"I've actually been trying to think less about wealth,
and instead focus on the things I can buy with it."