Foreign investment problems

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 31 18:54:46 EDT 2004

          PLEASE CC GNUCASH-USER ON ALL REPLIES.

Danny Ciarniello <Dan_Ciarniello at telus.net> writes:

> I appreciate the USD isn't a Stock.  Maybe I wasn't entirely clear
> with the problem.  When I create a new file and use the wizard to
> create a set of Investment accounts, I get an account tree like:
>
> Assets
> - Investments
> -- Brokerage Account
> --- Bond
> --- Stock
> --- Market Index
> --- Mutual Fund
>
> plus, of course, the Income and Expense trees.  When I right-click and
> select Edit Account, the settings for each account are:
>
> Assets : Type Asset, Commodity CAD
> Investments : Type Asset, Commodity CAD
> Brokerage Account : Type Bank, Commodity CAD
> Bond : Type Stock, Commodity CAD
> Stock : Type Stock, Commodity CAD
> Market Index : Type Mutual Fund, Commodity CAD
> Mutual Fund : Type Mutual Fund, Commodity CAD
>
> As one can see, all accounts have commodity set to CAD.

As one can see, this is a bug.  The hierarchy druid should not
create accounts of type Stock or Mutual with a currency.  This
is a bug, and I'm telling you that the way to fix it is to properly
set a commodity on those accounts.

> In this account setup, it is apparent that the Stock account (not to
> mention the others) is not meant to track a particular commodity but
> is, instead, meant to group together accounts that represent
> individual stocks.  E. g. If I were to own Nortel shares, then I would
> create an account, NT, that is a sub-account of Stock to hold the
> Nortel shares.

Negative.  the Brokerage account is meant to track a group of accounts
together.  The stock account _IS_ meant to track a particular stock,
but the hierachy druid has a bug that doesn't properly set the account.