Mutual Funds Cap Gains or Dividend Reinvestment

rwshep2000.3129421 at bloglines.com rwshep2000.3129421 at bloglines.com
Tue Aug 31 20:59:54 EDT 2004

Hi Derek,

OK, that confirms I'm doing it correctly.  I have mutual funds
that automatically reinvest dividends and capital gains.

The current Advanced
Portfolio report only shows a gain if the unit price appreciates.  That is
incorrect.  A money market fund, for example, persists at $1.00, and "interest"
is reinvested.  GnuCash would show this fund at 0% total return forever.

MS Money and Quicken let you tag these reinvestments as "capital gains reinvest"
or "dividend reinvest", then includes the value of the reinvested shares as
part of the "gains" or "ROI."  What the GnuCash Advanced Portfolio calls "Gains,"
MS Money calls "Appreciation."

I want to know if it is possible to get
GnuCash to  show my reinvested cap gains/dividends as part of my ROI (gain).
 Obviously, if a fund has capital gains and dividends, it is making a return
on investment, and that is part of the "gain" that I need to track, preferably
in the advanced portfolio report.

Any help you or other readers could give
is much appreciated.  If it turns out GnuCash Advanced Portfolio will not
in its current state support ROI reporting, I am considering learning Scheme
and writing a report that will.  It's fundamental.

I wouldn't be so obsessed
with this except that I think GnuCash, with the wonderful Finance::Quote package,
is right on the cusp of being a meaningful alternative for average users who
do some stock/bond/mutual fund investing.

Thanks,

Bob Shepherd

--- Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU wrote:
Transfer the reinvested income
from Income:Dividends -> Assets:Fund

writes:

> > This is a simplification of a wordy post from yesterday:

> > What is the correct
> > way to enter reinvested dividends or capital
gains from a mutual fund?