associate jpeg image of reciept with a transaction?

jdebert jdebert at garlic.com
Wed Dec 8 14:37:38 EST 2004

Adam Megacz wrote:
> jdebert <jdebert at garlic.com> writes:
>
>>providing a downloadable statement with all check images
>>included.
>

> Check images are going away really soon (in the USA).  As of November,
> banks are now allowed to take a check you deposit, burn it, print the
> numbers on a scrap of paper ("substitute check") and send that to the
> other bank.
>
>   http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/check21/consumer_guide.htm#can
>
> In other words, your bank won't be getting pieces of paper with
> signatures on them for much longer.  I'm a bit upset about this since
> it means you can't write "paid in full" checks anymore.

the so-called "Check 21" does not do that. You get either the original
check or a facsimile, image or scanned copy. Eventually the original
check will be destroyed after scanning. All one will get is a facsimile.

A "substitute check" is the dumbed-down term they use to refer to a
specific kind of copy or facsimile.

Banks must keep an exact copy or facsimile of all checks. That
requirement will never change.

Bank of America already makes images of checks available to their online
customers. The front is roughly 50dpi black & white, the back is a
grayscale GIF at higher resolution.