associate jpeg image of reciept with a transaction?

jdebert jdebert at garlic.com
Wed Dec 8 14:57:42 EST 2004

Ben Pracht wrote:
> I'm glad someone else saw the value in something like this.  Personally,
> I'd love to be able to scan receipts in, although that's hard for me
> under Linux given hardware incompatibilities and associate it with a
> given transaction.  I'd also like to be able to associate documents with
> a whole account.

I would love to scan receipts in as well, since they are increasingly
being produced on thermal paper which fades out anytime from the day
before to a year or so later, typically just before they are needed.

Can't prove tax deductions, etc., with self-destructing receipts.

Preserving thermal paper receipts has proven difficult. I've tried
everything except sealing them in retort packaging or cans and they
still fade out. The packaging is still permeable to household chemicals,
including those from cooking.

The receipts take up the bulk of my paper, making those folders look
pot-bellied and fills up files quickly.

There are fast optical check scanners available that can handle many
receipts but they are quite expensive, proprietary and only supported
with windoze. They can handle receipts up to 2.75 inches wide. A fast
scanner that can handle up to a seven-inch wide receipt of arbitrary
length, as produced by some stores, is pretty rare though.

=-=
jd