symlink account?

Andrew Gelvin Burley Grimes aggrimes at ncsu.edu
Mon Dec 13 12:50:34 EST 2004

Is there a way to create a Gnucash expense account that actually acts
like something of a symbolic link in Unix?  Here's what I mean --

I have a placeholder expense account, "Insurance," containing
subaccounts "Auto" & "Homeowners"

I also have a placeholder expense account "Taxes," containing
subaccount "Property Tax" (among others)

I would like to create an expense account "Escrow," with subaccounts
"Homeowners Insurance" and "Property tax," so I can keep track of what
I have paid into escrow on my mortgage.  However, these accounts
already exist under their other respective parent accounts.  Is there a
way to set up an account such that it looks over into another account
to get its balance?  Or, is it possible for an account to have two
separate parent accounts?

Am I conceptualizing this whole thing incorrectly?

thanks for your thoughts,

Drew

Drew Grimes
North Carolina State University