end of year and thank you

Bill Wohler wohler at newt.com
Tue Dec 14 02:30:17 EST 2004

Chris Bare <chris at bareflix.com> writes:

> I've been using Gnucash exclusively for nearly a year now and it's
> been working great. Thank you again to everyone who's hard work has
> made such a useful program.

Same here.

> I know that Gnucash doesn't have any specific end of year operations
> like some accounting packages do, so I wondered what the
> recommendations are?

Either let it go, or export the account tree and start clean. I did the
former the first couple of years, and did the latter last year (when a
lot of accounts had changed). To make reconcilation happy, I put any
January transactions in the old year that belonged to a statement in
progress. Alternatively, you could manually transfer the December
transactions that belong to a January statement into the new file.

Another thing I think Derek suggested once was to transfer an amount of
money from an Equity account into each account to zero each one out to
make reports nicer. i can't remember if it was best to do it on December
31 or January 1... Maybe someone who has actually done this can add the
details.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler at newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD