Account type to isolate some transactions

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 15 00:58:32 EST 2004

On Dec 14, 2004, at 10:02 PM, Charles Gagnon wrote:

> Setting up a small homebased business that will not have it's own
> Bank accounts just yet. I would a way to isolate the cash, expenses
> and income accounts for this entity.
[big snip]

I went through a Self-Employment training program not too long ago. It
included counseling at the Small Business Development Center, and a
bunch of classroom time which included presentations by a lawyer,
accountant, banker, debt counselor, etc. Every single one of them said,
"never, never, never, NEVER run a business from the same bank accounts
you use for your personal finances."

While diligent use of Gnucash might alleviate part of the concern,
there still remains the possibility of malevolence from tax authority
personnel. If there are ever any questions, they will assume you are
lying to them. Do you want to keep absolutely every receipt you get
from both personal and business transactions to prove your Gnucash
story is valid? Do you want to reconcile every cash expense to close
both your personal and business books?

Try to find a bank that has a good deal on small business accounts. In
the Eastern U.S. at the moment, that's pretty easy -- no fees to speak
of and no minimum balance at PNC. And Wachovia seems to be coming
around too.

Dave