gnucash in Australia

Derrick Ashby daeroncs at fastmail.fm
Sat Dec 18 07:23:22 EST 2004

Hello list,

I've been looking at gnucash for about a week, and in general I'm a
fan.  This is the first accounting program I've found that seems to be
useful for both personal and small business accounts.  (I've so far set
up files for me, my wife, our business, our joint affairs and our super
fund...) Not only that, but it gives me something useful to do with my
linux box!  However, there are a couple of issues that bother me.

(1) Down here in Australia we start our financial year in July. Gnucash
seems to assume a January - December year, and I can't find any way of
changing this.

(2) GST (Goods and Services Tax - similar to VAT). I've read quite a few
posts on this issue in the archives. When collecting GST from customers
the advice seems to be to set up a tax table, and I tried doing that. It
works fine if you use accrual accounting, but that involves paying tax
to the government for invoices that haven't been paid yet, and who wants
to do that? If one uses cash accounting, one is forced back to doing the
thing manually, the way you need to do with purchasing.  I guess I can
live with that, but it's a pain.

No doubt I'll find more things to gripe about in the next week or so ...

Derrick Ashby