gnucash in Australia

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Dec 19 09:35:59 EST 2004

Derrick Ashby <daeroncs at fastmail.fm> writes:

> Thanks for the tip on the reporting date.  I note that there is a
> "Default" button on the Options General tab that returns the form to a
> default state, but is there any way to change what the default
> settings are?  I can see myself getting a bit tired of repeatedly
> changing the report date option every time...

No.  The defaults are the hard-coded defaults.  You could save the
report (a 1.8.10 feature) and then run that saved report (but the
'defaults' will still return to the hard-coded defaults, not your
saved defaults).  Or you can just keep the report open (i.e., don't
click the 'close' button) and gnucash will save your settings and
reload the report every time you start the application.

> On the GST issue, I'm not sure what you mean by it being only a
> reporting issue and not an accounting one.  The difference is that if
> I pay GST on an accrual basis then I want to specify  the tax to come
> out at the time I post the invoice, so that the amount gets posted
> into the Liabilities - GST Collected account .   On the other hand, if
> I'm  paying on a  cash basis I only want to post to that account when
> the invoice gets paid.  As far as I can see gnucash works quite well
> on an accrual basis, but not at all on a cash basis.

What I mean is that at the end of the period a "cash-based report" can
"remove" the non-paid invoices and report the actual amount of tax
collected.  That's how it's a "reporting issue".  In other words, you
can convert an accrual-based storage to a cash-based report by writing
a report to handle (ignore) unpaid invoices.  The inverse, however, is
not true (you cannot write a report to show accrual if the
transactions don't exist).