Get Quote Fails

David Hampton hampton at employees.org
Tue Dec 21 15:27:30 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 11:00 -0700, Todd Shifflett wrote:
> running on Mac OS X 10.3,
> I want to get far away from Quicken but I'm having a little trouble.
>
> I have installed Finance::Quote
>
> running dump-finance-quote seems to work just fine.
> [dump-finance-quote nasdaq aapl]
>
>   "Get Online Quotes" radio box is selected with "USA" as the source
> along with "NewYork" Time.  However when I click on the "get quotes"
> button in the Price Editor I get this error:
> 	"unable to retrieve quotes for these items: NASDAQ:aapl"

The stock symbol is AAPL, not aapl.  Dump-finance-quote should have
failed.  The only reason it succeeded is that it translated the symbol
name into upper case without telling you.  It should not do this, as
some stock symbols actually use lower case letters, though the practice
seems uncommon.

David