Foreign Currency CDs, Real Estate

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 22 08:56:57 EST 2004

Hi,

JUNIPER <snijuniper at comcast.net> writes:

>     I'm trying to switch to linux incl GnuCash. So far so good as far
> as installation, now just a matter of getting op up to speed. Question
> about suitability of GnuCash for my home-use situation before I start
> switching from Quicken...
>     I use everbank.com and have bought foreign currency CDs
> (certificates of deposit) out of my checking account. They also have
> an IRA for me through which I've also bought foreign currency CDs.
>     Question 1: Can GnuCash readily accommodate these
> (sub-accounts?). It would probably be easier to show them in dollars
> rather than using the foreign currency amounts, which should make it
> easier, although I do recognize that GnuCash has foreign currency
> capabilities

Sure.  It's actually (probably) better to show these in the actual
currency of the CD and handle the exchange rates and capital
gains/losses manually.

>     I also am modestly invested in a number of real estate limited
> partnerships, some through an IRA and others directly.
>     Question 2: Would these be easy to set up? All I would need to
> show is my capital investment, quarterly return, and (hopefully)
> profit when sold.

These are handled just like any other Mutual Fund or Stock.

>     Question 3: Can renting out property (as opposed to being a
> renter) and loans as a lender (rather than a borrower) be readily
> shown?

Yes, but the current druid wont help you set up the scheduled
transactions.  You'll need to set them up manually.