Pledge to a church -- how to account for it?

Matej Cepl cepl at surfbest.net
Thu Dec 23 00:35:29 EST 2004

Hi,

I have an accounting problem. We have pledged a year with my wife to pay to
the church some fixed amount up front and then monthly $50 for building
campaign. However, I have not managed to create a way how to account for it
properly. I have created a special account Liabilities/Building Campaign
and put there all money we pledged (minus the amount we paid immediately).
Then I decreased that amount monthly by $50 against the checking account.
The problem is that I do not get increased Expense:Charity:Building
Campaign account so these payments are not reflected in our expenses. I
have to probably make one more account somewhere, but I have not figured
out where and which one.

Can you kick me into the right direction, please?

Thanks,

Matej

--
Matej Cepl, http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej

Q: Is vi an easy editor to learn, is it intuitive?
A: Yes, some of us think so. But most people think that we are
   crazy.
    -- vi FAQ