Cheque v. Check

Robert Uhl ruhl at 4dv.net
Thu Dec 30 19:13:31 EST 2004

reriding at xmission.com writes:

> > What's the output of 'set | grep -e LC -e LANG'?
>
> You are a genius.

Yes, but I barely made the cut, and I don't think it applies here:-)

> $ set | grep -e LC -e LANG
> LANG=en_US
> LANGUAGE=en_US:en_GB:en
>
> I changed the LANGUAGE variable to just en_US and things are back as I
> remember them from before.  I have added a line to .bashrc to set this
> variable and I thank you very much.

No problem.  You might wish to see if you can find out _how_ that got
set--perhaps in your display manager?.  Also, this may be some sort of
bug somewhere: I would imagine that the LANGUAGE variable is supposed to
specify languages in order of preference--that would mean that GnuCash
should have grabbed the en_US versions before en_GB before plain en.
Perhaps the US translations are in en instead of en_US?

Personally, I set LANG to en_GB because I like it, and LC_MONETARY to
en_US because that's where I live.  Now I just need to figure out which
variables to set to get the GNOME calendar applet to display the date &
time as God intended (e.g. 'Thu., 30 Dec. '04, 17.13')...

Glad you were able to get this resolved.  Regards &c.

'Y'know how they touted Java as this remarkable cross-platform solution
for everything; Is that why applets usually crash my browser, regardless
of which browser I'm using?'    --Kevin Deighton in uk.net.web.authoring