Installing GNUCash on TurboLinux 8

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Feb 8 08:32:33 CST 2004

A few comments inline...

"Brent Scott" <qubit at mail.com> writes:

> The following are the steps needed to compile and install GNUCash 1.8.2 on TurboLinux 8 with a Development Workstation installation. These worked for me and are not garunteed to work for everyone. Go through the dependency list and make sure the rpm's listed are installed on the system. REMEMBER: Always test to see if there is another version of the package already installed before recompiling. Follow the installation steps in sequence. These instructions are for gcc versions 3.3 or 2.96 and perl versions 5.8 or 5.6.1.
>
> 1.0 Dependency List
>
> 1.1 Dependencies from the README
> The rpm's for Turbo Linux WS8 can be obtained here:
> ftp://ftp.turbolinux.com/pub/TurboLinux/TurboLinux/ia32/Workstation/8/install/turbo/RPMS
> List of required packages, installed package names and action needed (make sure
> the devel packages for each rpm is also installed):
>
> Gnome 1.4       gnome-core-1.4.0.4-23   ok (from RPM)
> guile 1.4       guile-1.6.4.tar.gz      compile (see below)

I'm shocked that TurboLinux doesn't already ship a version of guile.
Any version >= 1.3.4 should work fine.  Just make sure that all your
libraries are built against the same version of guile.

> slib 2c4        slib3a1.tar.gz          compile (see below)

slib3 doesn't work. You mention this below, but you seem to imply
here that slib3a1 is ok to use, which it is not.

> libpng          libpng-1.2.1-1          ok (from RPM)
> libjpeg         libjpeg-6b-15           ok (from RPM)
> libz            zlib-1.1.4-2            ok (from RPM)
> xpm             (XFree86 4.0)           ok (from RPM)
> gnome-libs 1.2  gnome-libs-1.4.1.5-3    ok (from RPM)
> gnome-print     gnome-print-0.35-1      ok (from RPM)
> gdk-pixbuf      gdk-pixbuf-0.11.0-2     ok (from RPM)
> libgal          gal-0.24.tar.gz         compile (see below)

I'm REALLY shocked that you do not ship libgal -- it's a vital piece
of Gnome.  Gnucash doesn't use it directly; it's used by a number of
other libraries.

> Guppie 0.40.2   Guppi-0.40.2.tar.gz     compile (see below)

There is no e in Guppi.  Also, you want 0.40.3 (or 0.40.4 if
it's been released).

> gtkhtml 1.1     gtkhtml-1.1.10.tar.gz   compile (see below)
> libdb 1.85      db-4.2.52.tar.gz        compile (see below)

I'm also surprised you don't have gtkhtml or libdb packages!
How can you survive without a libdb?!?

> libofx 0.6.6    libofx-0.6.6.tar.gz     compile (see below)
>
> 1.2 Other Dependencis
> The following are not listed in the README file for gnucash but may need to be installed if they have not already been. Do an rpm -q to check if the have already been instsalled. Capplet will need to be installed from source as described below.
>
> GConf-devel-1.0.8-5.i586.rpm

This is a dependency for gtkhtml.

> gnome-vfs-devel-1.0.4-1.i586.rpm
> libcapplet-1.5.11.tar.gz

I have no idea why we would need gnome-vfs or libcapplet.

> OpenSP-1.5.tar.gz

OpenSP is a documented dependency for LibOFX.

[snip]