Almost duplicate transactions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 11 21:34:43 CST 2004

Chris Roat <croat at SLAC.Stanford.EDU> writes:

>>So you have a single QIF file two multiple accounts but the
>>transactions don't match up internally?  This sounds like a problem
>>with whatever created the QIF file.  The importer can't match that
>>together if the QIF file itself doesn't map them together.
>
> Oh.  That's what I thought the duplicate transaction finding was
> all about.

Nope, the duplicate detection is about match transactions in the
qif file to transactions already in the gnucash data file.

>>You might be better off loading the accounts as separate QIFs --
>>either in one process or two -- I'm not sure.
>
> It doesn't work properly either way (though I do finally get the
> duplicate transaction window).  Question then:  in the QIF
> standard what should be different to map these transactions
> together?

Ahh, the problem here is that you're mapping them to payees and not
to QIF Accounts.  Change the P... to L[other-acct] and it will do the
right thing.

Basically, you can't map a Payee to an asset account.

> In my checking account QIF:
>
> DAA/BB/CCCC
> TXX.YY
> Cc
> PTRANSFER IN
> ^
>
> In my savings account QIF:
>
> DAA/BB/CCCC
> T-XX.YY
> Cc
> PTRANSFER OUT
> ^

Change the "PTRANSFER IN" to "L[savings]" and "PTRANSFER OUT" to
"L[checking]" and then you can map the qif-accounts to each other.

> Thanks for all your help, Derek!
>
> Chris

-derek