Scheduled transactions vs. automated entry of transactions...

Andrew Tuson andy at forum.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 11 07:14:03 CST 2004

On Saturday 10 Jan 2004 7:40 pm, Conor O'Neill wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 00:18, Robert Heller wrote:
> > Is there some way to enter a batch of regularly occurring transactions
> > into an account?  The 'Scheduled transactions' does not do what *I* want
> > to do.  I don't want the transactions to be added as they occur, but to
> > add them all *in advance*.  I use GNUCash to create my running spending
> > budget and there are a pile of regular transactions (such as my
> > bi-weekly paycheck, scheduled bill payments, etc.) that I want to
> > pre-enter into the register.  This way I can have a running (future)
> > balance to let me have a handle on where my finances are this week, next
> > week, next month, etc.
>
> I do this using scheduled transactions. I simply have them set to be
> 'create n days in advance'. Then, every so often (monthly, in my case) I
> run them all and GnuCash inserts my next month's transactions.
>
> The only manual requirement is that once a month I have to remember to
> run the scheduled transactions. I do it when I get paid.

That seems to work.  Set the transaction for the day of payment, then set it
to be entered so many days in advance so that it appears on the first day of
the month.  Selecting the "create automatically" option enables all the
payments to be entered each month without any further input.

Thanks for the tip.

Andrew Tuson