foreign currencies: the second

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 15 15:52:12 CST 2004

Thank you for the sample....

Willi Tonsern <willi.tonsern at aon.at> writes:

> I have 1.8.7, but I guess the problem will be the same in 1.8.8
> I try to show you 2 simple QIFs. The first is an EURO account the
> second a HUF account
> I copy the contents of the files between #### lines #### so you see
> begin the end of file

[qif sample cut]

> importing this, the importer does not recognize that the
> withdrawal-entry "50EURO to HUFbank" in the EURO_bank_account means
> the same transaction as the deposit-entry "12,800Forint from EURObank"
> in the HUF_bank_account because there doesn't exist any transaction
> number / join / connector / pointer / handle ... in the partner-QIFs;
> and so the importer creates 2 different entries in both accounts for
> one and the same transaction.

Indeed, the problem is that the QIF file does not contain any
indicator that these transactions should be linked.  So, how is the
importer supposted to know to link them?

Granted, you have the same QIF accounts and the same days, so you
could make an assumption that the transaction match.  The existing
importer cannot make that assumption.  The new one that I'm working on
theoretically could, but I'm not that far enough along.

> And additionally: I can't see the particular exchange rate valid for
> the transaction (today: 1 EUR = 256 HUF) ..... ok ...... if the
> importer could recognize the transaction-partners
> (withdrawal-deposit-pairs) the exchange rate could be calculated....

Yes, this is how it would have to be done..

Could you file a bug report at bugzilla.gnome.org and attach these two
sample QIF files to the bug report?  That way I'll be sure to get to
it when working on the new importer.

Thanks.

> my problem is the large number of entries in my QIF data files: it
> seems to be impossible to transfer it by main.....entry for entry
> willi

Unfortunately not much I can do about this at the moment.  Sorry.
The existing importer just isn't up to your needs.