QIF importer: 3 problems

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 22 14:55:50 CST 2004

Hi,

I just quickly looked into this problem:

Willi Tonsern <willi.tonsern at aon.at> writes:

>>>1. problem
>>>If the first account-balance in a QIF differs from 0 (e.g. the account
>>>is opened with 500$) then the importer creates 2 entries (withdrawal
>>>500$, deposit 500$) for this transaction: so the account balance after
>>>the 1. transaction is evrytime 0.
>>>(follows a short example qif)
>>>#####
>>>!Type:Bank
>>>D1.1.04
>>>U500.00
>>>T500.00
>>>POpen account
>>>Mthis account starts with 500$
>>>L[MyBank]
>>>^
>>>#####
>>>After importing there are 2 entries to the transaction (-500 and +500)
>>>and the balance is 0; but I think the balance should be 500???

It definitely works if the "Payee" is "Opening Balance".  It appears
not to work right otherwise (I don't know why -- it should).  I'm not
planning any more changes to the existing importer, so I can focus on
the new importer.

So for now just be sure your opening balance transactions have a
payee of Opening Balance.