Question regarding personal loans and paying expenses

Christopher Scott wabe5 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 3 12:14:21 EDT 2004

Any help on this is very much appreciated.

I have loaned money to a person.  Let's say the outstanding balance is
$1000.

I have a recurring monthly expense.  Let's say this expense is always
$50.

Let's also say that I track this person's checking account in Gnucash.

In Gnucash, how do I represent this?  I tried doing something like

Expenses:Monthly    $100CR
Assets:Loan                $100DB

but that leaves out the removal of $100 from the checking account.

If I try to account for it as follows:

Expenses:Monthly    $100CR
Checking                   $100DB

then the loan doesn't get properly credited.

Thank you.

=====
--
Christopher Scott