RPM release differences for same GC version [WAS: Help menu]

Stewart V. Wright svwright+lists at amtp.liv.ac.uk
Fri Jul 16 10:22:50 EDT 2004

G'day Jean-David,

* Jean-David Beyer <jdbeyer at exit109.com> [040716 14:43]:
> I guess this is not true of all systems or, at least, all gnucash rpms.

...Great.  Dependency hell here we come!

I didn't realise that there was competing packaging going on out
there.  (I roll my own from the tar ball.)

> I did rpm -q gnucash-docs and it proclaimed the package was not installed.
>
> I next I blindly tried to download the rpm cited and then do an
>  rpm -Uvh gnucash-docs-1.8.4-1.i386.rpm
> and got a zillion complaints about conflicts. I picked out one of the
> files it complained about and did an
>  rpm -qf [filename]
> and it announced all this stuff was part of gnucash-1.8.8-0.9 already
> installed on my system.

(I will avoid the standard "use 1.8.9, it's got bug fixes"
comment... *Grin*)

Where did you get your rpm from?  Is this the standard RHEL/Fedora
release?

Does someone who is actually involved in those releases need to chase
this up?  i.e. Notting???

Cheers,

S.