[Fwd: Re: RPM release differences for same GC version [WAS: Help

Jean-David Beyer jdbeyer at exit109.com
Fri Jul 16 12:36:55 EDT 2004

Steve Romanow wrote:

> On Fri, July 16, 2004 10:22 am, Stewart V. Wright said:
>
>>G'day Jean-David,
>>
>>* Jean-David Beyer <jdbeyer at exit109.com> [040716 14:43]:
>>
>>>I guess this is not true of all systems or, at least, all gnucash rpms.
>>
>>...Great.  Dependency hell here we come!
>>
>>I didn't realise that there was competing packaging going on out there.
>
> (I roll my own from the tar ball.)
>

> I've got to say it.  Heres where the beauty of ports and portage show.

I have no idea about what you are referring to. A port is normally where a
ship may expect to dock. Portage refers to carrying of small watercraft
(typically canoes) around rapids and other obstructions in a waterway.
What this has to do with software in general, or Linux software in
particular, eludes me.

> RPM conflicts and hunting are what drove me from RH.

I found the solution to RPM conflicts with Red Hat is to use _only_ RPMs
released by Red Hat for the exact distribution you are using.

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine   241939.