Recordkeeping question - transaction out of range

Alan H. Lake alan.lake at lakeinfoworks.com
Sun Jul 18 12:26:49 EDT 2004

I am using GnuCash to maintain an organization's records.  GnuCash is
being used for 2004.  Last year, the records were kept manually.

I have one checking account transaction that originally was not entered
into GnuCash because the check was written in 2003.  However, it cleared
in 2004.  When I attempted to balance the bank statement for the month
that it cleared, of course I was off by that amount.  I entered the
transaction, and found other totals off by the same amount.

I have a "Brought Forward" account and have tried to jiggle numbers to
make everything balance, but I'm not doing something correctly.  What is
the approved way, from an accounting standpoint, to handle such a
transaction?

Thanks,
Alan