The Gnucash database?

blfs blfs at comcast.net
Sun Jul 18 23:29:23 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Derek Atkins" <warlord at MIT.EDU>
To: "blfs" <blfs at comcast.net>
Cc: <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2004 8:39 PM
Subject: Re: The Gnucash database?

> The "flat file" is really XML.  Gnucash can "import text data" provided
> that data is formatted in QIF or OFX.
>
> > I must be missing something.
> >
> > Is there some example data laying around somewhere
> > with instructions on how to load it?
> >
> > It seems to me that importing text data would be
> > trivial if the data is already in flat text format.
> >
> > Or what format is the data stored in exactly?
>
> See above.
>
> -derek
>
> --

I glanced through the OFX stuff on the net.

There must be code out there somewhere that converts
text to OFX.  I dont know anything about QIF or
OFX but they seem like very different applications.

OFX is for secure transactions over the net and I would
think it would be rather limited.  QIF is an out of the box
financial program I understand with limited security.

It would seem to me that the most natural way to write
Gnucash would be to write it for a flat text file in the Unix
tradition.  If it is not trivial to translate a flat text file to
the format required for Gnucash that is a rather serious
design flaw.  I can certainly load a flat text file into any
database I know of with relative ease.

I must be missing something here.