Building gnucash for 10.2 (was: Re: Where is gnucash for OSX?)

jdebert jdebert at garlic.com
Mon Jul 19 21:13:43 EDT 2004

Adrian Simmons wrote:
> jdebert wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately gnucash fails to compile & install for failed
>> dependencies, in part due to missing packages which fink cannot find.
>
> That's a fairly common story, gnucash has a *lot* of dependencies, fink
> has a tendency to get confused along the way - but that's not the same
> as saying it won't compile, it will, it just takes time and patience.

So far things are going better, even though it's mostly a lot of
waiting--at least things are (usually) compiling. I may actually get
gnucash working by Friday night... :)

> I know it can be frustrating but do remember that this is all done
> through volunteer effort.

The only real frustrating thing is lack of info. Info available last
year disappeared and looking for it was getting very frustrating. "it's
gone" is far more frustrating than "it does not exist".

> Are you saying that fink is unable to download the source archives?

It seems that it was unable to find some packages required to satisfy
dependencies. After every error I told fink to update itself and it's
package list, which helped. It seems like fink can only update itself
and it's lists incrementally. Major bummer for anyone with a
way-less-than-current version.

It also seems to think it has something and stops building packages when
the thing is not found. That happened with building some perl modules
for html handling. Removing all of perl and rebuilding solved that,
apparently.

> Often fink seems to get confused about the sequence in which it installs
> dependencies, simply repeatedly issuing 'fink install gnucash' sometimes
> does the trick.

That also seems to help get updates much closer to current, too.

> If it gets stuck with a particular error then let us know the problem,
> send the details of the error - though you may find fink-users is a
> better list than this one for that sort of question.

Thanks for the info...

qt is still building--has been for the past 4+ hours. It seems to be
just hurry-up-and-wait so far, as it works it's way through all the
recursive dependencies. I think I'm going to have to stop fink soon and
open the case to chase all the dust bunnies out, before there are so
many that they kill the system...

=-=