The Gnucash database?

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Tue Jul 20 04:55:16 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 3:09, blfs wrote:

> To make this discussion more concrete, let's compare
> Gnucash with Sql-ledger.
>
> I have looked at both, but I have given sql-ledger a longer
> look, but I am not using it.
>
> In sql-ledger just by the design alone I know I can
> import flat text files

of arbitrary content or a specific format?
QIF is a flat text file of a specific format, only a few steps removed from
CSV. There are scripts that can do the transfer.

Take a look at how another GnuCash user has solved your problem:
http://baruch.ev-en.org/proj/gnucash.html
"I very quickly found that I'm way too lazy to hand enter the bank statements
into GnuCash"

> I wanted to give Gnucash a go, but if I cant import data
> that is a major stumbling block right from the get go.
> Is one supposed to start by typing in data?

There are methods to import transactions from certain online sources, or you
can do as I did - import a few years of data from Quicken using QIF. Other
than that, you use scheduled transactions to enter regular items and enter
the rest as you go along.

There is work being done on import routines, try reading the gnucash-devel
archive.
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2004-July/thread.html
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2004-June/thread.html

--