amd64, laptop, opening error msg = ...invalid ELF header

Bill Suit bsuit at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 21 16:25:12 EDT 2004

I've just compiled gnucash-1.8.9 on my emachines M6805, using 32bit
emulation(I think :>) ). I'm running gentoo and used a USE build flag of
USE="x86, which is why I think I built with emulation.

Anyway, issuing the command 'gnucash', either as user Bill or root, gets
the following:

# gnucash
ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
ERROR: file: "libgw-gnc", message: "/usr/lib/libgw-gnc.a: invalid ELF
header"

First I rebuilt gnucash. Did not help. Then I rebuilt
'g-wrap'(version=1.3.4-r1). Did not help.

Searched google and the gnucash-user archives and didn't find anything
useable, except (this might help you help me):

# file /usr/lib/libgw-gnc.a
/usr/lib/libgw-gnc.a: current ar archive

Now what? TIA, Bill