generic sql [wasRe: The Gnucash database?]

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Thu Jul 22 00:52:20 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 10:02:44PM -0500, Perry Smith was heard to remark:
> Would "ODBC" work for this?  (As a low level common denominator
> database interface.

ODBC sucks rocks; libdbi is much better.

Neither ODBC nor libdbi nor any of the other API's provide any actual
abstraction of SQL whatsoever. That has to be done at higher layers.

I suspect DB2 and postgres are quite compatible, that's not
a problem.  It's MySQL failure to adhere to standards that
causes all the pain :)

For example, it would be "very easy" to convert the current postgres
backend to use libdbi (and maybe a bit harder to use ODBC); however,
it would still not work for mysql in a deep and fundamental way.
Might get lucky with DB2, though, I dunno.

--linas