rfc or suggestion--save backups function for gnucash

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Thu Jul 22 01:03:38 EDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 01:02:49PM -0700, jdebert was heard to remark:
> >What you are doing smacks of writing a DOS batch file to protect against a
> >Windows GPF. "It don't fix nothing."
>
> The idea is to anticipate such surprises as naughty systems, as well as
> various disasters.

Yep. We live in an imperfect world.  Unanticipated shit will *always*
happen.  There will *always* be one more bug.

The interesting conversation, for me at least, is how to build the
ultimate fault-tolerant ssytem.  e.g. RAID for disks is great if
your disk crashes but does nothing if your computer is stolen.

I'd like to see a distributed backup system ... something cobbled out
of P2P and encryption and what-not to provide location-independent
data access, so that one could see one's own GnuCash data no matter
what computer on the planet one sat down in front of.

--linas