rfc or suggestion--save backups function for gnucash

Jean-David Beyer jdbeyer at exit109.com
Thu Jul 22 08:40:11 EDT 2004

Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 06:26:34PM -0400, John C. Martin was heard to
> remark:
>
>> world of large scale business systems that I am accustomed to, we use
>>

> ... highly paid sysadmins who know how to set that stuff up.
>
> GnuCash user's are not highly paid sysadmins, and I'll be dollars to
> donuts that ...
>

>> (you do have a backup plan, right?)
>

> ... they don't.

I agree. I know between 5 and 10 people who have computers. NOT ONE OF
THEM EVER MAKES BACKUPS. Only a few have anything more suitable than
floppy disks on which to make backups. One has a 100MByte Zip drive that
he never uses; another three have CD-ROM burners that they never use for
backups. Of course, none of them use GnuCash, so perhaps it does not
matter. They seem to accept blue screens of death and losing all their
data and programs as part of the computing scene and even though I explain
(sometimes) that there are better ways, they will not consider it. They do
not back up their stereo, refrigerator, stove, toaster. They will not back
up their other appliance: their computer. ;-) In my circle of
acquaintances, I am the only one who makes backups: I do a _full_ disk
backup every morning when I am asleep (cron does it, actually).

It appears that my GnuCash file will not fit on a floppy: Mine takes a
little over 3 Megabytes, though my other user's database is about 1/2
megabyte.

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine   241939.