generic sql [wasRe: The Gnucash database?]

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 22 11:32:43 EDT 2004

Jean-David Beyer <jdbeyer at exit109.com> writes:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
> [snip]
>>>and all the SQL stuff is hidden.
>> Agreed.  This is a major goal IMHO, to hide SQL from the rest of
>> gnucash.
>>
> Of course. And for all I know, that is just how gnucash handles this already.
>
> I.e., if I really wanted to develop a DB2 version myself, I would just
> get the source code, find the functions where the SQL interface is,
> and modify that to talk to DB2 instead of postgreSQL or whatever
> gnucash uses in the dbms version.

Indeed, that is how it is, and that's all you'd have to do -- build a
db2 backend that mimicked the API that the pg backend implements.
However IMHO it's not "generic enough" -- you still need to
re-implement too much per db to get it to work.  98% (or more) of
gnucash has no knowledge of pg or sql, and that's the way it should
be. :)