The Gnucash database?

John Pettigrew john at pettigrew.org.uk
Wed Jul 21 04:35:40 EDT 2004

In a previous message, "blfs" <blfs at comcast.net> wrote:

> Why isnt Gnucash based on an SQL database?  I would also think the design
> should be modular so the database engine is seperate from the program.

The value of SQL is that it's a generalized relational database system.
GnuCash is not a generalized relational database system - it's an accounting
package. Thus, it is possible to produce a simpler solution that meets all the
needs of GnuCash without adding the extra features required by an SQL engine.

There is already the possibility of using postgreSQL as the back end (although
it lags behind the main app's functionality), which should meet most needs
once it's up to date.

John
--
John Pettigrew                         Headstrong Games
john at headstrong-games.co.uk            Fun : Strategy : Price