Accounting type question

jdebert jdebert at garlic.com
Sat Jul 24 19:13:57 EDT 2004

Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> I'm not sure how to put this in gnucash.
>
> I withdrew $60 from a automatic teller machine and I received $40.
> So $60 has gone on my bank account, but I didn't get $20, there is a
> difference between my statement and fact.
>
> About one month later I receive the refund of $20.

It has happened to me, too.

I split the transaction, debitting the lost money from a new sub-account
called Bank:Losses:Bank Errors. It is a tax-linked account so losses can
be deducted from income taxes.

The refund is credited to the account when it arrives.

It is expected to have a zero balance, of course.

=-=