inputting an invoice

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Sun Jul 25 07:34:53 EDT 2004

On Saturday 24 Jul 2004 01:08, blfs wrote:
> I have given a little effort to this program, I have read
> some of the theory and set up a chart of accounts.
>
> I still have no data in my program.
>
> Just for general instruction and interest.
>
> Let us assume I have the following data
>
> Invoice table
> invoice#     DATE    Customer
> 1               2-03-1002     abc
> 2               3-6-1492       COLumbus
>
> lineitem table
> Invoice#     description    QTY    Cost
> 1                 arrows          24      .24
> 2                  ship             7       10,000.00
> 2                  compass      1        500.00
>
> How would I get this data into GNUcash?
>
> I would like to do this manually and using the import option.

Hi Blfs,

haven't seen any answers to this, except Derek's "can't import", so here goes.

Assuming that you actually want to set up a full A/P and A/R ledger setup,
which (IMHO) is probably needless complexity for *personal* accounts - this
is the the small business extension of GC, and is all fairly well covered in
the docs, see:
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/
especially chapters 12 & 13 for A/R and A/P.

But in _summary_ (for A/R):

from the account tree window:

Business | Customers | New Invoice  (select Vendors for A/P)

Follow the prompts, and add your customer's Address details / Credit terms
etc, and then add the lines to your invoice in the register window which
comes up.  You must "post" the invoice when you are done editing it for it to
be entered into your A/R ledger.

Cheers,
Maf.