Writing checks

blfs blfs at comcast.net
Sun Jul 25 23:29:49 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Reiser" <dbreiser at earthlink.net>
To: "blfs" <blfs at comcast.net>
Cc: <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2004 1:11 PM
Subject: Re: Writing checks

> On Jul 25, 2004, at 1:36 AM, blfs wrote:
>

> > I'm having trouble finding the check register.  I have
> > been able to enter a transaction debiting my checking
> > account and expensing Dining.
> >
> > I think I am missing something or other.
>
> Every account has a register. If you've entered a transaction debiting
> your checking account, then the register exists. Go to your account
> list, double click on the name of your checking account --> there's the
> register.
>
> --
> David Reiser
> dbreiser at earthlink.net

IMO, this program needs a checkbook.  A check needs
a date field, a number field, a memo field and an amount
field, and a payee field.  The payee field should be related
to a vendor table if desired.  This is how all these types
of programs are organized.  It is also the natural way to
do this.  This is what we all do when we write a check.

For myself, my personal accounting consists at looking
at what the ATM tells me when I withdraw money.

In business though I dont see the point of double entry
accounting without A/R and A/P.