Mailing List: Subject Tags

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Jul 26 02:44:43 EDT 2004

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:

> Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:31:42 +1000
> From: Elizabeth Dodd <liz at billiau.net>
> To: gnucash-user at lists.gnucash.org
>
> On Friday 23 July 2004 06:27, Michael Forbes wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Could someone please direct me to the person in charge of the mailing
> > list?  I am wondering if it would be possible to have the server place a
> > small tag to the subject line of messages sent out to help subscribers
> > filter the messages:
> >
> > For example:
>
> I think that you are using Pine. I have no experience with Pine and cannot
> advise how to run mail filters.
> I know how to do them in Kmail, and I do find filtering messages to keep them
> in order very helpful.
> Can someone who knows how to do this in Pine help Michael?
> liz

Personally, I like mailing lists that prepend the subject line with the
mailing list name - it makes retrieving messages from the messages
filtered as spam and viral, easier, and one simple criterion for
filtering spam, is the message format - about 99% of spam is in HTML,
and, about 99% of HTML messages are spam and/or viral. I use prepending
on the (about) 20 lists that I administer, but ultimately, whether
prepending is used, is the decision of the list administrator, and
depends on how the list administrator regards prepending.

Anyway - filtering with PINE...

I use PINE v4.4 running on Red Hat Linux 7.3.

To filter the mailing list messages into a single folder, is easy
enough. The following procedure may appear complex, but it is much
simpler than it appears, and it works well. I have stated the
procedure, fairly much step by step, so that it can easily be
followed. Where there is <CHARACTER>, the character may be entered in
either upper or lower case - for the options, PINE is not case
sensitive.

The same procedure should work for all versions of PINE, that allow
message filtering - v4.44 is old, and this procedure should work with
every version since that version. A mailing list for PINE exists, hosted
by Washington University, at www.washington.edu (then following the
links for PINE).

The first step is to go up to the highest menu level, using the left
cursor arrow, until you can go no further. Then enter <S> (for Setup)
then <R> (for Rules) then <F> (for Filters). (<S> means the S key)

Then, to scroll through the filter list (I have somehwere around
100-150, to deal withat all of the mailing lists to which I subscribe,
and the various spam and virus filters) to the position to insert the
new filter, then enter <A> (for Add).

Then, enter <C> (for Change), and delete the filter name (a default
filter name is automatically created), then enter the filter name that
you want and understand. Then press <ENTER>.

For the first filter (due to the operation of the list, two filters are
needed), I suggest something meaningful, like GnuCash-To . Then scroll
down to the header fields on the filter menu. At the "To pattern" field,
enter <C> , then enter the string "gnucash.org" (without the double
quotes), and scroll down to the  "Filter action" field, check the "Move"
box, and for the folder name, insert your existing folder name for your
Gnucash messages (if you have one), or, a new folder name (eg, GnuCash).
Then press <ENTER>. Then press <E> for Exit and Save. You will then be
advuised that the folder does not exist (if it is a new folder name),
and asked whether you want to create the new folder. Enter <y> (for
yes), and you will be returned to the filters menu.

For the second filter (needed because the list does not default replies
to the list), go through the same procedure again, except using the "CC
pattern" field, instead of the "To pattern" field, and using a
different filter name, eg, GnuCash-CC.

Then, enter <E> (for exit and save), then <Y> to confirm, and you will
be back at the top-level menu.

Then, return to the INBOX folder, and then go and view your messages in
your GnuCash folder.

I hope that this is helpful. If not, let me know.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."