Sample Data

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Jul 27 03:54:16 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 27 Jul 2004 01:43, blfs wrote:
> One improvement to Gnucash that would be very easy would be a set of sample
> data.
>
> For some reason this program has me baffled.
> Usually with these types of programs one opens it up to
> see a menu of AR, AP, Cash, POs and so
> forth.  One selects the AR menu and usually
> there is a new or add button for invoices, there is also a new or add
> button for bills checks and everything else.

Well, then, I guess gnucash must be unusual (but I find it works well for my
personal accounts & my business accounts and my wife's personal and
businesses accounts (thanks to the -devel folks!)).

Agreed, there is not a new invoice button, but there is certainly a menu: From
the main window, select the business menu. then "Customers" for A/R or
"Vendors" for A/P, then "New Invoice" or "New Bill" respectively.  Or
"process payment" if that is what you wish to do.

Non [A/P | A/R] transactions are entered directly into the respective register
windows (eg credit card, petty cash etc.)

BTW, what version of GC are you using?  The business menu was only added at
IIRC version 1.8.0

>   It would certainly be a lot easier
> to discuss this program if it had a standard sample of
> data to discuss it.  For I am completely lost on how to
> create a new anything in this program except for a new
> transaction.

And if you had a sample data file, how would it help you to _add_ a new
invoice?  As I see it, you would still need to read the info in TFM

I am willing help you to go step by step through adding an invoice, but it may
be best to do it off list, as it is all explained in the docs.

http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/

Maf.