Greetings

Craig P. McDaniel, Jr. craig-list at datafathom.com
Fri Jul 30 16:23:03 EDT 2004

After researching GnuCash and its features, it seems to me that it might
suit the needs of my current project.

I am searching for an alternative to our current QuickBooks setup.  We
currently have billing software that invoices, charges and records all
payments from our company.  This data is then exported daily into a
QuickBooks database by customized exporting software.  Exports are
automatically tracked so that duplicate data isn't exported, thus
screwing up the QuickBooks database.

It would be wonderful to automate the export process by plugging code in
to update a pgsql database on a daily basis instead of having an
operator manually do the updating via the intranet.

My question, specifically, is as follows:  What multi-user issues will
arise if I attempt to do nightly database updates to the pgsql backend
DB if gnucash clients are logged in?  Obviously there probably will be
data out of sync resulting in hell breaking loose.

Possible ideas:

a) force the logout of all clients and then do the update to the
database, allowing clients to login only when the update has completed.

b) figure out the session management code that gnucash uses to somehow
register the export script as another gnucash client entering data into
the database, thus possibly bypassing any problems with data clobbering.

c) perhaps its just an issue with sql transactions, but I think its more
complicated than that -- some kind of session is registered when each
gnucash "client" "logs in," but I am not sure how it works.

Any input would be appreciated.

Regards,

Craig