NEWBIE: Company expenses

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed Jun 2 13:03:16 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 02 Jun 2004 17:43, Derek Atkins wrote:
> There are lots of ways to do it...  But GnuCash isn't really set up to
> do that quite the way you want.  It's set up to maintain personal
> accounts, or business accounts, but not really personal accounts for a
> business.  I.e., the Expense Report feature is from the business side,
> not from the employee side -- it goes into AP (the business side) not
> AR (the employee side).
>
> Your best bet is to have a company-specific credit card..  Or use
> subaccounts....  Or I suppose you could use the Expense Voucher
> subsystem and just apply the charges to your credit card.
>
> -derek
>
> juman <juman at chello.se> writes:
> > Any hints about how to handle company expenses in gnucash would be
> > useful for me. I pay most of my expenses with my personal credit card
> > and then by showing my expenses to my company get them back at the end
> > of the month.
> >
> > /juman

Or you could do exactly the same thing as in the thread earlier this week
about loans to friends:

have an asset account which is a "loan" to your employer

so you buy something for your employer. You don't treat it as an expense, but
an increase in the asset account.  The company then refunds you, reducing the
asset account balance and adding funds to your checking account for you to
pay to the credit card issuer. (Or the company pays directly to the credit
card, so you have a direct transfer from asset -> credit card)

just €0.02, and IANAA

Maf.