Balance sheet - shouldn't it indicate a single date rather than a range?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 8 09:40:08 EDT 2004

Yes, and no.

The balance sheet DOES handle a point, but it also needs to include
your equity at that point in time, which means it needs to know the
INCOME for that period, which means it needs the starting value of
your income accounts to compute the Net Profit for the equity
calculation.  That's why it needs a 'start date', because you need to
plug in the income delta that occured during the last period.

-derek