new account tree

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 10 16:02:36 EDT 2004

Please be sure to cc gnucash-user on all replies...

Kevin HaleBoyes <khaleboyes at chartwelltechnology.com> writes:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Kevin HaleBoyes <khaleboyes at chartwelltechnology.com> writes:
>>
>>>All this did though was add another tab under the existing
>>>"Accounts" tab labeled the same.  When I looked closer it
>>>wasn't a new tree since adding transactions to one tree
>>>added them to the other tree.
>>>
>>>This surprised me.  Is it supposed to work like that?
>> Yes.
>
> Then what is the use of that feature?  Why would you want two
> (or more) tabs that refer to the same account tree?

There are two uses.  One, if you accidentally close the account-tree
you can re-create it (closing the tree doesn't close the file, it just
closes the display window -- even if there are no more windows..  and
yes, I acknowledge this is weird).  Two, there was at one point in
time a plan to allow multiple views into a set of accounts.  The
second one never got completed (in particular gnucash doesn't remember
which accounts were expanded and which were not), but the first part
is still useful when people accidentally hit 'close'.

>>> [snip long explaination of what i want to do]
>> Unfortunately there is no way to re-run the Hierarchy Druid once
>> you've got a file going.  The only option you have is to build the new
>> expense hierarchy by hand.
>
> So you are recomending adding (by hand) a 'TT Expenses' account at the
> same level as the existing 'Expenses' account.  I guess I'd also add
> a 'TT Income' as well.

Well, I'd call them "Expenses (CAD)" and "Expenses (TT)", but yes,
that's what I'd suggest.  You'll also need to create all the necessary
subaccounts within your tree.

Unfortunately, as I said, you have to do this all by hand using the
"New Account" option.