exporting gnucash-data

marthter marthter at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 16 22:40:38 EDT 2004

Vasil Vasilev wrote  on 29/05/04 03:40 PM:

> On Wed, 26 May 2004, Anders Vinjar wrote:
>
>> Ive been searching around a bit without finding any obvious
>> solutions: how can i get hold of my gnucash-file, or selected
>> data in gnucash, say transaction-data from one account, and
>> export it to work with it in other programs like for instance
>> spread-sheets (fex. gnumeric)?
>>
>> Ive tried using various Reports without luck.
>

> I had exactly the same problem and found a work-around. It is not the
> best but works for me. I do a transaction report, then select the
> contents, and paste it into gnumeric. Works like a charm.
> [You can, of course, choose which fields go into the report, that is,
> select what is exported.]
>
> You can also export the report into an HTML file, give it to someone
> else, who can then use their favourite browser and copy and paste into
> their favourite spreasheet.
>
> The only problem I had was that the subtotals had the wrong formatting
> for that, but I submitted a patch which one of the developer committed
> to CVS (and sorted out). So, if you need it get the CVS version, or I
> can tell you what I did to patch my version. If you do the patching
> yourself, you may not get the best of support from the developers
> here, so it is not quite recommended.

"may not get the best of support..."  !!!???

In my opinion, the developers here (especially Derek) go waaay above and
beyond the call, responding patiently to thousands of questions (that's
just since September when I started reading).  Plus, I don't see why
they should go toooo far to help several people who want to go running
off madly in all directions, completely doing their own thing for their
own one-of situations.  That does not benefit the rest of the user
community at all, so I think it is only natural that folks here are more
eager to be more helpful, if there is some prospect that their effort
will (combined with your effort) pay off to more users than just you.
That's why Derek's suggestions were steering you towards methods that
might have some bearing or usefulness for other users too: to modify the
existing reports or add new ones for your "various tax calculations".

By all means, scratch your own itches and expand on GnuCash.  But try to
give something back, not just take take take.

~Martin