exporting gnucash-data

marthter marthter at yahoo.ca
Thu Jun 17 00:10:34 EDT 2004

Vasil Vasilev wrote  on 16/06/04 11:09 PM:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, marthter wrote:
>
>> Vasil Vasilev wrote  on 29/05/04 03:40 PM:

>>> I had exactly the same problem and found a work-around. It is not
>>> the best but works for me. I do a transaction report, then select
>>> the contents, and paste it into gnumeric. Works like a charm.
>>> [You can, of course, choose which fields go into the report, that
>>> is, select what is exported.]
>>>
>>> You can also export the report into an HTML file, give it to someone
>>> else, who can then use their favourite browser and copy and paste
>>> into their favourite spreasheet.
>>>
>>> The only problem I had was that the subtotals had the wrong
>>> formatting for that, but I submitted a patch which one of the
>>> developer committed to CVS (and sorted out). So, if you need it get
>>> the CVS version, or I can tell you what I did to patch my version.
>>> If you do the patching yourself, you may not get the best of support
>>> from the developers here, so it is not quite recommended.
>>

>> "may not get the best of support..."  !!!???
>

> Yes, for exactly the reasons you give below. You may do weird things,
> but then you don't get supported. Dough!
>
>> In my opinion, the developers here (especially Derek) go waaay above
>> and beyond the call, responding patiently to thousands of questions
>> (that's just since September when I started reading).  Plus, I don't
>> see why they should go toooo far to help several people who want to
>> go running off madly in all directions, completely doing their own
>> thing for their own one-of situations.
>

> Yes, the response has been extremely fast and useful. I am rather
> impressed.

Fair enough, but your statement that "you may not get the best of
support" seemed to be saying just the opposite, namely that you were not
impressed, which I thought was extremely unfair and ungrateful.  I
certainly have been (and continue to be) amazed at the committment level
of the developers here, and I am grateful, so I thought I'd better speak
up with my counter point to your point.

It seems now that wasn't really your point, so either you wrote it
poorly, or I read it poorly, or both.  I probably shouldn't have
focussed on just a few words.  Anyway, the broken telephone is now fixed.

See you later.

Regards.

~Martin

> Gnucash has gone a long way and the developers have been supporting
> all sorts of "features", which is great.
>
>> That does not benefit the rest of the user community at all, so I
>> think it is only natural that folks here are more eager to be more
>> helpful, if there is some prospect that their effort will (combined
>> with your effort) pay off to more users than just you.
>

> Yes, I did that. I submitted a patch for a useful, I think, feature,
> which as it happens I didn't need after all: help export transaction
> reports into spreadsheets. It is not the best way by no means, but is
> the fastest to implement I found and works, albeit a bit noddy.
>
>>  That's why Derek's suggestions were steering you towards methods
>> that might have some bearing or usefulness for other users too: to
>> modify the existing reports or add new ones for your "various tax
>> calculations".
>

> Actually, exactly right. No program, and I mean no program, can
> support everything, and that's why exporting data or just reports is
> extremely useful for that weird corner cases that only individual
> need, but then there are many individuals with their own corner case.

(Somehow I doubt your tax calculations are so different from the other
millions of people in your jurisdiction, or the world in general.  But
anyway, we'll leave it at that, as I expect you are no longer itchy.)