Quicken wallet checks user hack

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 17 01:11:19 EDT 2004

I have created a modified print-check.scm which will print appropriate
info in both the main check area and the stubs of the Quicken wallet
check form. The payee and memo fields on the stub are truncated to 21
characters if necessary to prevent running onto the check itself.

This is a user hack -- the developers will no doubt cringe if they look
at it. Because the check height for wallet checks is only 204 points
instead of 264, and the check height is defined outside loop for
deluxe/quicken/custom forms, my file is probably only good for quicken
wallet checks even though I left the other choices in place.

I discovered recently by looking at the examples in the Quicken store
that the default check printing 'style' is to include the payee both in
the classical first line/payee location and as the first line of the
name and address block below the word amount line. My file is set up to
print the payee on the line above the amount-in-words line. (I've
printed over 1800 of this style check in the last 11 years using custom
database routines with the payee only ever appearing in the address
block area. I've never gotten one back. But then, I've discovered that
you can just about make all your checks payable to 'Big Bird' and the
bank will pay whoever presents the check.)

If I can make sense of gnome, I may try to pick a better font for these
checks. After all, we're passing postscript coordinates with the scheme
functions, we ought to be able to pass a font declaration, too. OTOH,
it might look like MS HTML -- with a font call at every print value
command.

If the powers that be are interested, I can try to post a file
comparison output (but I hardly think this qualifies as a patch quality
mod). Otherwise, I'll email the file to those interested. I'm really
over my head in this CVS world, so the patch route might require more
hand holding than folks can stand.

Dave

David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net