linking gnucash to data in postgres

Joseph Mack mack.joseph at epa.gov
Fri Jun 18 14:05:50 EDT 2004

Derek Atkins wrote:

> It sounds like what you want is something very similar to what ISPs
> use to keep track of their monthly (or otherwise recurring) customers.
> I have no idea what billing system(s) they use.  Maybe someone else
> does.

I expect any business software would have to do this, eg the
database that has the inventory of widgets you're selling would have
to connect to the financial database. I'm not in business, so
I don't know how this is handled, but I expect it's got to
be handled by some integrated software system.

> You may be able to refashion your description into the gnucash model
> and use the gnucash business features, but at the moment there's no
> SQL support for the business features so that wont help at the short
> term.

well I'm just thinking about it at the moment, so long term is fine.
The soccer organisation can keep going the way they are now for another year
I expect, so I'd be prepared to wait a year. The way they're doing it now
seems quite primitive and there's a lot of things that are kept on paper
that seem to belong to a database to me.

In principle can I SQL read/write (select * where field "foo" = "bar" from
table="baz") the gnucash database with a postgress client? Are the table
names etc all known to the outside world? I understand the gnucash entries
are all xmlified. Presumably I could de-xmlify the entries after reading and
xmlify before writing?

Thanks Joe

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb at epa.gov