linking gnucash to data in postgres

Joseph Mack mack.joseph at epa.gov
Mon Jun 21 07:31:45 EDT 2004

Derek Atkins wrote:

> An inventory subsystem is not an arbitrary set of tables..

I'm sure I have lots to learn here, but my inventory is a soccer player
(name, league, team, age, address...), coaches, referees, soccer fields,
all of which look an arbitary set of tables at the moment.

> When gnucash uses SQL the data is not XML; XML is the (current) file
> format.

so the current format is XML and gnucash is going to postgres and is
not there yet (I'm at 1.4 and haven't kept up with all of this).
I thought postgres was the current storage format and it was
storing XML.

> SQL is a completely different storage format.  Yes, you can
> just SELECT on the gnucash tables..  But you're not "allowed" to
> UPDATE, INSERT, or DELETE.  I.e., only gnucash is allowed to
> manipulate its data, you're not allowed to modify it outside the
> gnucash interfaces -- you may break the invariants.

yes I understand there's contraints here :-)

> The gnucash schema is, however, semi-private..  You can
> reverse-engineer from the database, but don't expect that it wont
> change over time.

If someone wanted to add inventory tracking to gnucash, then presumably
it would be done cooperatively with you guys.

Thanks Joe

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb at epa.gov